More New Homes Coming to Waco Campus
The leadership of Methodist Children’s Home is pleased to announce the funds have been secured to complete two additional homes on the Waco campus.
“We are excited that the campaign has been well received by so many of our supporters, staff, alumni and friends,” said Tim Brown, President/CEO. “The short amount of time it has taken to raise this $5.2 million is evidence that this plan for the 21st century home for our children is resonating with donors and our supporters. I am pleased to visit with the young ladies and staff living in the Daniels Home and hear how much they enjoy the new home.”
In addition to building the Daniels Home which was dedicated in June of this year, the capital campaign involves the closure and demolition of the West Home and Scharbauer-Thomas Home
The West Home was a gift from Mrs. J.M. West of Houston, in memory of her husband, Jim West. The Scharbauer-Thomas Home was a gift from lifelong friends, Mrs. Phil Scharbauer of Midland and Mrs. Alma Thomas of Austin, and was given in memory of their husbands. These homes have blessed countless children, staff and supporters over the years and we are grateful for the generosity of these families.
“This is truly an exciting time at MCH,” Brown said. “Throughout the history of this organization there have been times when changes have been made for the betterment of the ministry and to ensure MCH was ready to meet the ever-changing needs of children, youth and families. We know God is blessing this ministry.”
Why Build New Homes?
The decision to undertake a campaign to build new state-of-the-art homes on the Waco campus is the culmination of a strategic plan initiative set in 2011. This initiative challenged MCH to evaluate the quality and effectiveness of an aging facility infrastructure. MCH leadership was also challenged to develop a design for the ideal residential campus to meet the current and projected needs of those we serve.
Planning has been a detailed process involving MCH leadership, our Board of Directors, alumni, childcare experts, best practices influenced by our understanding of outcome-based research, and most importantly, how we as a ministry could further improve our care for those in our care.
Each new home built on our Waco campus will:
- Locate staff and residents on the same floor to meet supervision requirements and create an atmosphere where children feel even more secure and loved;
- Minimize the potential risks from having residents sharing bathroom facilities, allowing for more privacy and to help establish self-confidence;
- Reduce and improve maintenance costs for operation and occupancy of the existing homes;
- Provide sensory/safe rooms and LED lighting to help the youth self-regulate, which our trauma-informed care has shown to be beneficial for young people during times of crisis;
- Furnish adequate off-duty living quarters for houseparent staff to help with retention and recruitment of house parents;
- Achieve a more residential neighborhood appearance on the Waco campus.
Most importantly, these homes will allow Methodist Children’s Home to further our ability to provide an atmosphere where children feel safe and loved and have the opportunity to foster healthy and nurturing relationships.
If you have questions about this building campaign for our children, contact Trey Oakley, vice president for development, at 800-853-1272 or TOakley@MCH.org.
Celebrating a Legacy of Care
In the early 1950s, the landscape of Methodist Children’s Home changed significantly with the construction of 10 new residential homes. The Scharbauer-Thomas Home and the West Home were two of seven homes all dedicated on Oct. 2, 1952.
For the last 64 years, the Scharbauer-Thomas Home (called “S-T” for short) and West Home have served as havens of shelter and environments to foster growth and renewal for hundreds of young people. As MCH grows to better meet the needs of children and youth today and in the future through the construction of new, state-of-the-art homes, staff and alumni gathered in October to fondly remember the legacy of care of the S-T and West Homes. The two homes will be removed by the end of the year to make room for new construction.
The S-T Home was a gift from longtime friends Mrs. Phil Scharbauer (pictured left) of Midland, and Mrs. Alma Thomas (pictured right) of Austin, given in memory of their husbands. The home was designed with a New Orleans-type architecture and was built to be a girls unit.
Mrs. Scharbauer and Mrs. Thomas were frequent visitors to MCH, and Mrs. Thomas annually invited girls to her home in Austin for a picnic.
The West Home was a gift from Mrs. J.M. West (Jessie Dudley West) of Houston in memory of her husband Jim West. The home was built to house 22 girls.
At the dedication in 1952, the West’s family pastor, Dr. Dawson Bryan, said: “All Texas knows of the pioneer West family and their contribution to the progress of Texas industries. This building is a beautiful monument to the wife and mother of this famous family.”
Mrs. West has an “unassuming nature” and after much persuasion agreed to have her portrait done – it was placed in the West home the day before her death; she never saw the physical campus due to ill health but MCH Administrator Hubert Johnson and his wife would bring some of the children to see her.
Leave a Reply