History of the Perkins Heritage Home
Back in 1939, administrator Dr. Hubert Johnson had a bold vision for Methodist Children’s Home that would expand the Waco campus and improve the standard of child care. These changes would greatly influence the future of the ministry and shape the Waco campus for decades to come.
Mr. Joe Perkins, faithful supporter of MCH, shared this vision and helped to make it a reality. He made a gift to MCH to build the Perkins Home in honor of his wife, Lois, who decided to designate the unit for girls.
The Perkins Home remained a unit for girls until 2012 when it was repurposed as a Visitors Center to share the story of MCH and provide a place for guests to learn more about the ministry of MCH. The Perkins Home was renovated and renamed the Perkins Heritage Home and Visitors Center in 2012. Tim Brown, MCH President at the time, shared why this name was chosen for the newly restored building:
“The Perkins Heritage Home celebrates God’s blessings on Methodist Children’s Home and the countless number of lives transformed by hope through this ministry, and honors the legacy of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Perkins. We are thankful for our many friends and trust that this home will encourage a new generation of benefactors to support this ministry.”
The first floor of the Perkins Heritage Home houses the Visitors Center, alumni room, sample bedroom, and meeting room.