The Mulkey Memorial Heritage Garden
Methodist Children’s Home is blessed by our many friends who support this ministry through their prayers, encouragement and financial gifts. The Mulkey Memorial Heritage Garden, located next to our Administration Building, commemorates all estate gifts to MCH. Estate gifts of $125,000 or more are recognized with a plaque.
This special garden recognizes the important contributions of Rev. Abe and Louisa Mulkey in the early years of our ministry. Not long after MCH opened its doors in 1894, the Mulkeys became interested in supporting MCH. Driven by their enthusiasm for this ministry and inexhaustible energy, they devoted themselves to the building and development of MCH for 25 years. Wherever “Uncle Abe” preached and “Aunt Lou” played the old harmonium they hauled about the country, there was always a collection taken up for Methodist Children’s Home. Funds raised through the Mulkeys’ revival meetings literally kept MCH from going under in the early years.
Through their efforts, the first administration building was erected in 1899. In addition to the garden, the Mulkey legacy continues today through the Mulkey Religious Education Building, located next to Harrell Memorial Chapel.