Legacy Luncheon Celebrates Estate Gifts
Methodist Children’s Home showed its gratitude for estate gifts during the 2017 Legacy Luncheon held on June 16 at the Johnson Student Center. Four families were honored during the ceremony and received bronze plaques that will be placed in the Mulkey Memorial Heritage Garden.
The garden, located next to the Administration building on the Waco campus, honors those who have contributed to MCH through estate gifts with plaques commemorating gifts of $125,000 or more. The garden is named in memory of Abe and Louisa Mulkey, evangelists who were instrumental in keeping the doors of MCH open during its early years.
Below are the 2017 honorees:
John E. Hilliard
Colonel John Edward Hilliard was born in a small town in East Texas and joined the Air Force after law school. He lived in many places both in the United States and abroad. After his retirement he taught government and history at a Christian school in Houston where he was beloved by his students for his fairness, sense of humor and dedication to his craft. After his second retirement, he traveled to 97 countries, some of which were mission trips with his church. He adopted a young boy from Siberia at the age of 60 and raised him to a good life as an American citizen. His life was a beacon of loving and giving, which will continue to shine in his gift to Methodist Children’s Home.
Hancel C. and Veneta Kyle Light
Veneta Light was born on Aug. 17, 1915, in Amber, Oklahoma. She was 99 years old when she passed in Chickasha, Oklahoma, on Sept. 12, 2014. After graduating from Oklahoma College for Women in 1937, she worked at Middleburg School in Blanchard, Oklahoma. While there, she met her husband Hancel C. Light, and the couple were married in 1938 at her parents’ home. Hancel and Veneta, both teachers, worked in many places before eventually making their home in Wichita Falls. After Hancel passed in 1984, Veneta returned to Chickasha and became involved in the community as a member of Epworth United Methodist Church, United Methodist Women and the Texas Teachers Association.
H.E. and Annette N. Nicholson
H. Earl and Annette N. Nicholson established a trust in 1951 while they were still living in Wheeler County, Texas. After the trust had cared for their grandson Nick, the Shriners in Amarillo and the Methodist Orphanage at Waco became beneficiaries. The Nicholsons first lived in the Panhandle before owning property in Krugerville near Denton. They followed the plan to take care of their family first and then included MCH as part of their family through this special gift.
Helen Reid Yarbrough
Helen Reid Yarbrough was born in Fort Worth on June 25, 1922, and lived in Junction for most of her life. Her devotion to Junction and Kimble County were represented by her support of causes she thought were important to the area. The land for Kimble Hospital was a donation from her parents’ property, and she also donated the land for a new hospital. She supported the Kimble County Library, Kimble County Historic Museum, and other local causes. She was a strong Methodist and lifelong member of the First United Methodist Church of Junction.
Leave a Reply